Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Better use of pissiness (More thoughts on anger)

When I was 18, I went to a Tarot reader.

This reader was quite good and noticed immediately that I carried quite a bit of anger--even if I was as sweet as can be during my visit. "Anger can be a powerful tool," she said. "Just don't let it destroy you."

I've often repeated that to my own clients who are dealing with anger issues. I myself am a naturally angry person. Jorge says this is because most of my chart is made of Fire and Air. Some might say it's the combination of being both Russian and Irish. My therapist would try to blame it on my childhood. (Why do shrinks blame everything on childhood?) Honestly, it doesn't matter where it comes from. The truth is that there is at least one point in each day when I'd like to punch through a wall.

But most of you would never know what a seething ball of rage I am. My co-workers have often commented that nothing rattles me. This isn't true. I do get rattled. But I've learned to redirect my anger into places where it's useful.

In my last post, I talked about being angry over heartbreak and trying to let that go, and hearing the Goddess say that these things go through phases and can't be forced. However, I can treat my anger like a knife. It can cut someone--which would be mean. It can cut me, if I bottle it up--which would be painful. Or it can be used to get work done--like cutting an apple, cutting through jungle, or carving something pretty about myself on a subway bench.

If you're like me and you live with a 900-pound raging Gorilla in your mind most of the time, put that Gorilla to work. Anger can drive us and stir us to get the job done. Below are six things worth getting angry about. Click on these the next time you're stewing about something your ex-lover said to you during your final convo....

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch


Congo's Witch-Hunt

War Rape

Still Melting

Blogging in Cuba gets you beaten

Wealthy nations forgetting their promises=people die of AIDS


(And to make you feel better.....HERE'S A REALLY CUTE BUNNY!!!)

No comments: