Thursday, December 4, 2008

Communication

I am Ebeneezer Weber and I am to be visited by three spirits.

Well, messengers.

One of my Group members sent me a text the other night saying I would be receiving three messages, shortly. She's always right about this. I laughed and thought of saying "What, Christmas Past, Present and Never?" But joking about spirits isn't very funny.

Early this morning, a short, squat, male spirit came and sat on the bed with me--telling me lots of things, but the final word I heard just before becoming fully awake at the sound of the alarm was "Communication." I reset it to sleep another 30 minutes and told the spirit he had that long to finish telling me what I needed to know.

I woke up three more times this morning, mostly the fault of the cats, and heard "Communication" each time. Got the message. I'm supposed to communicate.

I put on Poe (not Edgar Allan, Poe Poe--the alternative singer from the 90's who released two albums, the second of which sucked, but the second of which is the one I cannot stop listening to.) Her second album is one gaping wound from the loss of her beloved father and the loss of her douchebag boyfriend. She mixes the songs with recordings of her father rattling on in the tone of the brilliant: one would could speak poetically of love and learning from one another, but you get the sense he never was able to accomplish either on a tactical level. "Communication is not just words," Poe's dad says. "Communication is architecture."

The second to last stanza of that song terrifies me. It's a combination of her haunting father's words, a 911 operator call and a small child repeating, "What's happening? What's happening?" When I was a child, I was afraid of telephone operators. That album opens that fear.

If that's true, my house is built a lot better than it used to be.

I had lots of things to say this morning about communication, with the Spirit world and with one another. But now I'm tired, need to read my Tarot, go to the store, wash my hair and clean the kitchen. Maybe I'll go the store first.

No comments: